Sunday, June 21, 2009

To my Unicorn...

It is so perfect that today is Fathers Day considering my yesterday with my dad :)

So, it was a GORGEOUS day yesterday..and after brunch, I went over to my parents house, picked up a couple of things that I needed and then decided to wash my car, my moms car, and my dads car..hoping to get a little bit of sun. My mom was potting some flowers, and since my parents just put another deck on their house, my dad was putting in a couple of flower beds for my mom(he is SO good to her!) And so when I was done washing, my mom and I were sitting on the deck above where my dad was working and basking in the sun..and we were looking down at him where he was pounding the last couple of boards into place when all of a sudden he drops the hammer and drops to one knee gripping his head. my mom flies down the side of the hill and I run to the bathroom to get a wet washcloth to clean out any wound he might have gotten. Somehow..as he was pounding in the nail...the head of the nail (that's the flat part, girls) flies off, and into his EYE! He tells my mom to tell me that he's fine (even though I am 24 years old..he still wants me to think he's indestructible...) and she did. After a little convincing from my mom, he jumps in the shower and we are off to Urgent Care. We get in pretty quickly and the dr. says he is SUPER lucky that it did not hit his Cornea, and he just got a little cut and it should be fine. Thank you JESUS for keeping him safe! So his vision is fine and he will be back to 100% in a few weeks. Boy was it scary though!

I hope and pray daily to find a man like my dad, I often joke with my parents, that because they spoil me so , that they have ruined me for a man :) It's hard to imagine that there might be another one out there as giving as he is. Another man that, if our daughter or son has something wrong with them, that they would start looking for a 2nd job so we could afford their medicine and doctor bills, or a man, coming home in his 3 piece suit would not only laugh, but join in on the water fight that was waiting for him behind the bushes and in the garage. ... Or a man that would stay up for countless hours with sick kids, rubbing their backs, getting them water, and fanning them, trying to break their fever. Is there a man out there that, when his daughter gets cramps for the first time and doesn't know whats going on, other than thinking she might be dying, will leave work to take her home from school, stop and buy her a chocolate chip cookie, a Slurpee, a new heating pad (he didn't know where ours was, and didn't want to make me wait while he looked), 3 movies, and then, when she just wanted to sit by him under her blanket, he sat there..engulfed in heat from the heating pad in June, sweating to death, but did not move because she finally fallen asleep.
I could go on and on and on about how good my dad has treated our WHOLE family..but I think you get the picture. This doesn't even touch what an amazing, patient, husband he is to my mom either..there isn't enough words for that. And although I don't think he reads my blog..just in case he does one day, and looks back through my posts, I want him to know that he is still my hero, my Unicorn, because men like him just don't exist :)

I love you Dad.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Sooooo sweet! I'm glad your Dad is ok!

{and I do think men like your Dad do exist}

About Me

My photo
..., Michigan, United States